World Environment Day was celebrated at over 20 Compass Group UK & Ireland sites this week, engaging at least 5,000 people! It’s the United Nations’ most important day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the environment and is widely celebrated in over 100 countries.
Here’s how some of our sites got involved:
- Qinetiq set up an exhibition stand to showcase their progress and ran a competition for people to submit ideas to reduce energy, waste, or water on site;
- Kia Oval gave away sunflower seeds to plant at home and help save Britain’s bees – Prizes will be awarded for the best photos;
- Compass Ireland and Northern Ireland ran a campaign to help our customers choose reusable crockery over disposable takeaway packaging;
- Goodenough College ran a poster campaign to encourage positive action on site;
- Wellcome Trust removed all catering consumables and took a lift out of action for the day;
- Aviva Eastleigh promoted a meat free lunch and helped customers choose reusable crockery over disposable packaging and segregate their waste correctly;
- Aviva Norwich team left their cars at home and got to and from work by walking, running, cycling, using public transport, or car sharing;
- Bexhill Academy invited students to take part in a competition to design a poster to show how we can save our planet and reduce waste on site;
- Kings Mill Hospital cleaned up their local area by running a litter picking competition with sustainable goody bags awarded to the winners; and
- Five Compass UK Head Offices reflected on the progress we’ve made and showcased our most sustainable products, including our Life Water and Eatfair range.
“It’s fantastic to see so many Compass sites join the global community to celebrate such an important day. They have come up with their own fun and inspiring activities that can really make a difference.” Celena Fernandez, Head of Environment, Compass Group UK & Ireland.
To find out more about World Environment Day and how you can get involved next year please visit: http://worldenvironmentday.global/
Compass will also be supporting World Meat Free Day on 12th June and National Air Clean Day on 15th June.