Compass Group UK & Ireland, the UK’s largest food services provider, is celebrating the success of its chefs at Hotelympia last week where they were awarded a host of medals.
Chefs from across the business came together to showcase the exceptional quality of food served daily across the company.
Altogether, Compass Group chefs won over 132 awards, including: 21 gold, 32 silver and 35 bronze plus an incredible 23 best in class awards
Final end of week awards
- The ESS offshore team led by Graham Singer also picked up Chairman’s award for best team performance
- Best larder exhibit for James Houston of Central Marketing
- Best restaurant plates for Dougal Macpherson, ESS offshore
- Chairman’s award also went to “Levy alliance parade des chefs team” captained by Terry Oriordan who delivered an outstanding performance with 48 hours’ notice in the la parade des chef which also had two apprentices in the brigade
- Lee Warren, Chartwells won the overall “Tilda chef of the year”
- Amy Duthie and Sam Way, Chartwells won the “Schwartz challenge chef team of the year”
Culinary apprentices also showcased their talents as they entered a number of competitions and came away with 14 awards.
Apprentice highlights include:
- Ryan O'connor won Gold - plated static starters - Apprentice at Sandhurst (first time competitor and only 2 months into his apprenticeship with Compass
- Ben Wolfe - won Bronze in the live theatre (never competed before) he has just completed his apprenticeship and has now also secured a post as a Commis chef at Sussex University
- Ethan Joseph – won Competes in the 'parade de chefs' which is usually for experienced senior chefs - works at Excel for Levy Restaurants. Ethan has just completed his apprenticeship this year
- Milton Lopes won Silver in the Live theatre (seabass & trout filleting), Milton is due to complete his apprenticeship this year and works for Newham Council which is part of ESS Government services
- Shannon Loughlin won Bronze in Live young chefs’ challenge. Shannon has fully completed his apprenticeship, he works at a leading blue chip client for Restaurant Associates
Nick Vadis, Culinary Director at Compass Group UK & Ireland, said:
“I am extremely proud of our chefs and the skills, dedication, and passion they showcased at Hotelympia last week.
“The culinary competitions at Hotelympia allowed our chefs to showcase their outstanding skills which are used across our business every day. The competitions also encourage development and our apprentice chefs did a great job in showing their great standard of delivery in food.”
Dennis Hogan, Managing Director of Compass Group UK & Ireland, added:
“Hotelympia provided a great opportunity to demonstrate the skills of our chefs across the business. They all work incredibly hard to deliver high quality food to our clients every day. We recognise that our chefs are the core of our business and that passion and innovation are key to creating great cuisine that enables us to deliver outstanding results for our clients again and again.
“I am also pleased to see our apprentices having done so well, it will be an invaluable experience for them to participate in the show as they continually develop their skills. We recognise the importance such events have in developing confidence and opportunities for our apprentices. I want to say a huge well done to all of our participants. ”
The company also welcomed guests to find out more about the various training schemes it has on offer at its recruitment stand during the exhibition which is being held at The ExCel Exhibition Centre in London.
The business currently employs around 30 graduates and 500 apprentices. In the last year, Compass has been recognised as a Top 100 Apprenticeship Employer and also made The Job Crowd’s Top 100 companies for Graduates to Work for list.
Hotelympia, held Bi- annually at the ExCel Exhibition Centre, is the UK’s largest foodservice and hospitality event. The exhibition delivers innovation and networking opportunities for exhibitors and visitors.
For more information contact:
UK Communications Team
Compass Group UK & Ireland
01895 554 999