Compass Group UK & Ireland has been acknowledged at this year’s Institute of Hospitality (IoH)Awards for the Gregory De La Peña-Hall FIH, Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Employer of the Year Award 2023, sponsored by Blue Badge Access Awards.
The event took place on Monday 26th June 2023 at the Hilton London Bankside. This year the awards were open to applicants from across the globe, from any hospitality segment and specialism, across small to large hospitality organisations.
The Gregory De La Peña-Hall FIH, Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Employer of the Year award recognises employers who have shown an outstanding commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) and can demonstrate how it has positively impacted the business and the wider hospitality industry.
Here are some of the initiatives that supported being successfully recognised:
- Launched our new social mobility strategy "Mission to a Million"
- The impact of our social mobility strategy to date has increased our multicultural demographics of our apprentice population from 11% to 19% which is aligned to the current national percentage
- We currently have over 600 apprentices on programme or in the process of being signed up, which is up a third since 2020
- We introduced regional apprenticeships in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland developing an apprenticeship roadmap offering level 2 to degree level 7 standards or equivalents depending on the nation and funding available
- As a Race at Work charter signatory, we have committed to progressing the 7 key actions associated with this. We published our first Ethnicity pay gap this year (March 2023) and continue to take an active leadership role on several industry bodies to promote the race agenda, including WiHTL
- Our recent employee survey, independently run by Ipsos Mori, measured our progress against our People Commitments - Respect, Growth and Teamwork indicated that most of our colleagues believe that they have equal opportunity to have a successful career at Compass and this increased by 15% from previous survey
- D&I awareness training for our recruitment partners
- Working with partners including the Multicultural Apprenticeship Alliance to attract apprentices and graduates from ethnically diverse backgrounds
Jonathan Foot, Head of Apprenticeships and Early Careers at Compass Group UK and Ireland, commented: "We are absolutely delighted to be awarded The Gregory De La Pena-Hall FIH, Equality and Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) Employer of The Year Award 2023. We consistently strive to engage with local communities to promote our inclusive opportunities providing that all important first step onto the career ladder at Compass."
Last year, Compass launched its ambitious Mission to a Million commitment - aiming to enhance opportunities and change lives, through job creation, education, training, community and charitable engagement. It includes gender, ethnic minority and the industry’s first socio-economic representation targets across its executive team, middle management, junior management and frontline roles, such as cleaners and chefs. For more detail visit Our Social Promise.